Why is furnace and air conditioning maintenance important?
- November 23, 2015
- Posted by: envision
- Category: Home Comfort
Regular maintenance will keep your heating and cooling system operating at its peak performance level. Here are some reasons you should schedule a heating & cooling tune-up twice a year:
• Required by manufacturers to keep your warranty valid.
• Ensures your system works at an optimum level.
• Helps reduce your utility bills.
• Can prevent costly repair bills by uncovering small problems before they become expensive ones.
My A/C isn’t working. What should I check before calling for service?
- Check breakers or fuses for air conditioner as well as for furnace or blower unit, if in doubt switch them off & then back on (they don’t always look tripped).
- Make sure the outdoor electrical disconnect is on (on newer units).
- Check room thermostat setting, make sure you’re in the cooling mode and the temperature is set below room temperature.
- Check outdoor unit for leaves, debris or grass clippings & clean as required.
- Check furnace filter or electronic air filter for blockages & clean or wash as required.
- Set your thermostat below 21 degrees Celsius.
- Wait until it’s 30 degrees Celsius and then turn the unit on. A central air conditioner must drop the humidity in the house to 55% – 60% before it will drop the temperature even 1 degree Celsius. If you have to catch up, it may take 8 – 10 hours.
- Call for service before checking the DOs . If a service technician is dispatched and all that is wrong with the unit is to set the thermostat properly or to reset a switch or breaker, it will be a chargeable call whether or not you have an extended warranty. If the breaker or fuse continues to trip, it warrants a service call.